This soup replaces fuller-fat butter and cream with Smart Balance™ buttery spread and Smart Balance® HeartRight® Fat Free Milk for a rich and creamy taste without all the saturated fat
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon Smart Balance® Buttery Spread Original
- 1 cup peeled and chopped apple (1 medium)
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 (12-ounce) package frozen cooked butternut squash
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup Smart Balance® HeartRight® Fat Free Milk
- Sauté onion in Smart Balance® Buttery Spread Original in a large saucepan for 3 minutes over medium heat or until translucent. Add chopped apple and sauté 2 to 3 minutes longer or until softened but not browned.
- Add broth and potato to saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until potato is very tender.
- Add frozen squash, salt, pepper, coriander, and ginger. Cook and stir until squash is thawed.
- Remove from heat and puree mixture using a stick blender or in a regular blender.
- Stir in Smart Balance® HeartRight® Fat Free Milk. Reheat slightly; do not bring to a boil.
Yield: 6 servings, 1 cup per serving Per serving: 149 calories, 3g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0 grams trans fat, 1g polyunsaturated fat, 1g monounsaturated fat, 89mg Omega-3 fatty acids, 498mg Omega-6 fatty acids, 1mg cholesterol, 558mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 6g protein
For more heart-healthier recipes and to view the full line of Smart Balance™ products, visit www.smartbalance.com.